Close Menu
The Washington FeedThe Washington Feed

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Starbucks employees must return to office 4 days a week under CEO’s policy shift

    July 14, 2025

    Paddy Power and Betfair users warned of ’email danger’ after hack

    July 14, 2025

    Slog AM: ‘Heat Kink’ Worries on SoundTransit, Seattle’s Proudest Bank Robber, Protests at South Lake Union’s Palantir Office

    July 14, 2025
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    The Washington FeedThe Washington Feed
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • World
    • US
    • seattle
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Tech
    • Contact Us
    The Washington FeedThe Washington Feed
    Home»World»Aviation authority says fuel switches are safe
    World

    Aviation authority says fuel switches are safe

    adminBy adminJuly 14, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


    The US aviation regulator has said fuel control switches in Boeing aeroplanes are safe, following their reported involvement in a fatal Air India crash that killed 260 people in June.

    The safety of the switches has become a key point of concern after a preliminary report on the disaster was released by investigators on Friday.

    That report said fuel to the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner engines was cut off moments after take-off from Ahmedabad airport, and highlighted past FAA reports that suggested the switches should be inspected for safety.

    In an email seen by the BBC, Air India’s chief executive warned against jumping to “premature conclusions” following the report’s publication.

    The disaster involving London-bound Flight 171 was one of the worst aviation incidents globally in almost a decade.

    Switches controlling fuel flow to the jet’s engines had been moved from “run” to the “cut-off” position, hampering the thrust of the plane, according to the preliminary report, which was published by the India Aircraft Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB).

    Investigators referred to a 2018 FAA advisory, which urged – but did not mandate – operators of Boeing models to inspect the locking feature of the fuel cut-off switches to ensure they could not be moved by accident.

    This step was not taken by Air India, the AAIB said in its early findings.

    The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Friday told civil aviation authorities that it had seen AAIB’s preliminary report.

    It noted that its own 2018 advisory “was based on reports that the fuel control switches were installed with the locking feature disengaged” – but added that it does not believe this makes the planes unsafe.

    “Although the fuel control switch design, including the locking feature, is similar on various Boeing airplane models, the FAA does not consider this issue to be an unsafe condition that would warrant an Airworthiness Directive on any Boeing airplane models, including the Model 787,” said the authority, in an internal note shared with the BBC.

    “The FAA will continue to share relevant information with foreign civil aviation authorities as appropriate.”

    AAIB, which reviewed recovered cockpit voice recordings, reported that one pilot could be heard during the flight asking the other why he cut off the fuel.

    “The other pilot responded that he did not do so,” said the report.

    Investigators said the fuel switches had almost simultaneously flipped from run to cut-off just after take-off. The report did not say how the switches could have flipped during the flight.

    Air India chief executive Campbell Wilson has warned against drawing “premature conclusions” about the cause of the accident in an email to staff seen by the BBC.

    He said there was “an ongoing cycle of theories, allegations, rumours and sensational headlines” that had appeared over the past month, many of which had later been disproven.

    The report, he stressed, had identified no cause for the accident, and nor had it made any recommendations.

    “The investigation is far from over”, he said.

    “We will continue to cooperate with the investigators to ensure they have everything they need to conduct a thorough and comprehensive enquiry.

    Mr Wilson said the report had “found no mechanical or maintenance issues with the aircraft or engines”, adding that all necessary checks had been carried out before the flight.

    Nevertheless, extra checks had been carried out across Air India’s 787 fleet within days of the accident “out of an abundance of caution”. All were found to be fit for service, he said.

    Air India Flight 171 was scheduled to fly from Ahmedabad in India to London’s Gatwick airport.

    The plane crashed into a medical college near the airport within a minute of take-off, killing 260 people who were mostly passengers. One British national survived the crash.

    Investigators are expected to produce a more detailed report in 12 months.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    admin
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Tshepo Lipholo charged after accusing king of selling Lesotho to South Africa

    July 14, 2025

    Clashes between Druze and Bedouin in south kill 30

    July 14, 2025

    Cameroon’s president seeks eighth term to extend 43-year rule

    July 14, 2025
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Our Picks
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    Don't Miss

    Starbucks employees must return to office 4 days a week under CEO’s policy shift

    Business July 14, 2025

    Starbucks CEO Brian Niccol speaks with FOX Business’ Liz Claman from the company’s leadership conference,…

    Paddy Power and Betfair users warned of ’email danger’ after hack

    July 14, 2025

    Slog AM: ‘Heat Kink’ Worries on SoundTransit, Seattle’s Proudest Bank Robber, Protests at South Lake Union’s Palantir Office

    July 14, 2025

    Tshepo Lipholo charged after accusing king of selling Lesotho to South Africa

    July 14, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    About Us

    At TheWashingtonFeed.com, we are committed to delivering accurate, timely, and relevant news from around the world. Whether it’s breaking developments in U.S. politics, major international affairs, or the latest trends in technology, our mission is to keep our readers informed with fact-driven journalism and insightful analysis.

    Email Us: Confordev@gmail.com

    Our Picks

    Tshepo Lipholo charged after accusing king of selling Lesotho to South Africa

    July 14, 2025

    Clashes between Druze and Bedouin in south kill 30

    July 14, 2025

    Cameroon’s president seeks eighth term to extend 43-year rule

    July 14, 2025

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Condition
    © 2025 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.